What many consider the last month of the Summer blockbuster season, August is jam packed with action remakes, sidequels and, perhaps our most anticipated movie of the year, The Expendables 2. Check out everything that is coming out this month below as we wind down the Summer of Action.
- Total Recall: Colin Farrell takes over the role made famous by Arnold in the remake of Total Recall where regular guy Doug Quaid goes to the high tech memory creation company Rekall to get the experience of being a secret agent implanted but instead uncovers that he might actually be a secret agent.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days: The continuing adventures of Greg and Rowley as they try to survive their summer vacation.
- Hope Springs: Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones co-star as a couple who head to an intense week long counseling session to rejuvenate their marriage.
- Nitro Circus: The Movie 3D: The MTV stunt show from the producers of Jackass and starring motocross champion Travis Pastrana comes to the big screen with tons of death defying stunts.
- The Bourne Legacy: Jeremy Renner steps in to take over the Bourne franchise from Matt Damon but is not playing Bourne but “Outcome” agent, Aaron Cross, who was part of a different program that genetically altered him into the perfect assassin but must go on the run when the program is burned.
- The Campaign: Will Ferrell and Zach Galifanakis battle for a North Carolina senate seat in this hilarious looking political comedy.
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green: A couple who are unable to have a child bury a box in their backyard with all their hopes and wishes for the perfect child and their wish is seemingly granted when they have a baby, but it has some strange quirks.
- The Expendables 2: Stallone, Statham, Li, Lundgren, Crews, Couture, Willis, Schwarznegger, Hemsworth, Van Damme, Norris, what else needs to be said?
- Paranorman: Norman, a misunderstood kid who can talk to the dead, must protect his town when an ancient curse causes an army of zombies to rise from their graves.
- Sparkle: Starring the late Whitney Houston, Sparkle follows a girl group in the 1960’s that become famous but then have to deal with the troubles that come with that fame.
- Hit & Run: A former getaway driver in witness protection has to go on the run with his girlfriend when his former gang come back to collect on a debt.
- The Apparition: A college experiment unleashes a dangerous supernatural presence that haunts a young couple.
- Premium Rush: Joseph Gordon Levitt stars as a bike messenger in NYC who comes into possession of a package that puts him in the crosshairs of a dangerous, corrupt cop.
- Lawless: Tom Hardy, Jason Clarke and Shia Labeouf are the bootlegging Bondurant brothers in 1930’s Virginia, whose business is threatened by a newly arrived federal agent, played by Guy Pearce.
- The Possession: A young girl buys an antique box at a yard sale and unwittingly gets herself possessed by the evil spirit within. Now her father and his ex-wife must figure out a way to free her.