News Shotgun 10/24
- The Crow reboot shooting in early 2015: The Crow reboot, possibly starring current Dracula Luke Evans, might be shooting early next year, according to producer Ed Pressman. Original comic author James O’Barr is a creative consultant on the movie and it’s a total reboot, retelling the tragic story of Eric Draven and his quest for revenge.
- Fox developing an Archie TV series: Fox has tasked Arrow/Flash showrunner Greg Berlanti to develop a drama called Riverdale, based on Archie comics. The show will feature Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Reggie, Kevin Keller and Josie and the Pussycats and will be, “a bold, subversive take on Archie, Betty, Veronica and their friends, exploring the surreality of small-town life — the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale’s wholesome façade”
- Rob Riggle cast as Frank West in the Dead Rising movie: The Daily Show alum will star as photojournalist Frank West in the upcoming Dead Rising movie, which will debut exclusively on Crackle.com before becoming available on VOD, DVD, etc.
- The Conjuring 2 delayed, James Wan back to direct: The Conjuring 2 was supposed to hit in the summer of next year but it’s been pushed back into 2016, possibly to accommodate returning director James Wan, who is currently working on the Fast & Furious series.
- More “The Martian” casting: Ridley Scott’s upcoming sci-fi movie starring Matt Damon added Sean Bean, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Sebastian Stan aka The Winter Soldier this week.
- Static Shock show in the works: Previously appearing in animated form on The WB before being added to the DC universe proper, Static Shock is returning in a live action series from one of the producers of Django Unchained. There’s no network yet but DC’s strategy when it comes to shows could place it anywhere.
- Disney loses John Carter rights: After delivering one of the biggest bombs in cinematic history, the rights to the John Carter IP has reverted back to the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate, who are going to try and look for another studio to try again to bring the Confederate soldier turned Martina superhero to the big screen.
- ABC making a Bachelor Party TV show: ABC is developing the Tom Hanks comedy classic into a new show, which may possibly be an anthology centered around different wedding parties and their various pre-wedding festivities.
- Morena Baccarin joining Gotham: The Firefly/Homeland star is joining Gotham in the pivotal role of Dr. Leslie Thompkins, who is one of the biggest influences on young Bruce outside of Alfred and was featured regularly on the Animated Series.
- Bill Burr getting an animated series on Netflix: Recent Breaking Bad regular and fantastic comedian Bill Burr will be bringing an animated series to Netflix called F is For Family, that will be set in the 70’s and be based on Burr’s childhood growing up during that era. Burr will play the father of the family in the show while Laura Dern plays his wife and Justin Long, his son.
- Rumored Mummy plot: Following up on the final scene of Dracula Untold, the new rumored plot for the Mummy reboot seems to be set in the modern day, as a team of NAVY Seals uncovers a hidden tomb while hunting terrorists and one of them seems to become possessed by the spirit of a pharaoh, not Imhotep, who was featured in both the original and Brendan Fraser versions of the story.
- Adam McKay wants to direct a Marvel movie: McKay apparently recently helped Paul Rudd rewrite the script for Ant-Man and he now seems to want to take on another Marvel property. There doesn’t seem to be any in the near future that fit his style but you never know what could happen.
- Will Smith producing a Hitch TV series for Fox: Smith will bring his romantic comedy to the small screen on Fox, where it will be a half hour, single camera workplace comedy.
I’m like the J. Jonah Jameson of Everything Action, writing and editing and constantly demanding pictures of Spider-Man.