- Sony making a Men in Black spin-off movie: Coming in May 2019, a new MiB movie is coming from Sony but Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith will not be back and it will instead focus on two agents who travel the globe fighting alien villains. Steven Spielberg will be one of the executive producers on the new movie.
- Amazon developing a slew of sci-fi series: Amazon announced they have gotten the rights to three major sci-fi properties including Larry Niven’s sprawling Ringworld series, Neal Stephenson’s cyberpunk classic Snow Crash and Greg Rucka’s Image Comics series Lazarus, which follows 16 feuding families who control the world that is divided between them.
- David S Pumpkins getting animated special: Tom Hanks’ breakout SNL character from last year will be getting his own animated Halloween special on October 28th on NBC. Hanks will return to voice the character along with Bobby Moynihan and Mikey Day as his skeleton assistants and they will be teaching “a young boy and his sister the true meaning of Halloween, answering none of their questions along the way”.
- Hocus Pocus getting TV movie remake: Although it seemed like maybe there was talk of a sequel to the cult Disney Halloween movie, it’s now been revealed the Disney Channel is actually going to remake Hocus Pocus with a brand new cast. The script is being developed now but no word on a director, casting or when it might air.
- Lionsgate Entertainment City coming to Times Square: Lionsgate is developing a massive entertainment complex in Times Square that will open in 2019 and feature attractions, dining and shopping based on some of their properties including a Mad Men lounge, a John Wick dark shooter ride, a Hunger Games flight simulator and more.
- JJ Abrams developing live action remake of Your Name: Abrams and Arrival screenwriter Eric Heisserer are working on a live action remake of the anime blockbuster Your Name that swept the Japanese last year. The movie follows a young boy and girl as they discover they share a mysterious connection that transcends time and distance.
- Michelle Williams co-starring in Venom: The Venom movie got it’s female lead and potential love interest for Tom Hardy’s Eddie Brock as Michelle Williams is in talks to play an unnamed character, potentially a district attorney. Riz Ahmed also joined the movie in August and Zombieland’s Ruben Fleischer is directing.
- The Mummy getting an actually awesome looking game: Looking to do what the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game did and far exceed it’s movie inspiration, The Mummy Demastered is coming this fall to every console from WayForward, the studio behind Contra 4, Alien Infestation and Ducktales Remastered. It’s a Metroidvania style action game where you play as agents of Prodigium looking to stop Princess Ahmanet and, if you die, that agent becomes a powerful zombie enemy that you can hunt down and kill to regain your weapons and gear.
- IT Chapter Two release announced: The follow up to one of the biggest horror movies ever is coming on September 6th, 2019 as the adult Losers Club takes on Pennywise again 27 years later. Andy Muschetti is returning to direct.
I’m like the J. Jonah Jameson of Everything Action, writing and editing and constantly demanding pictures of Spider-Man.