January is typically a dumping ground for movies the studios have had lying around or didn’t think were strong enough to be released in November/December. The seems to be the case for a bunch of this month’s releases but there’s still a couple that look solid like The Grey with Liam Neeson and Steven Soderbergh’s Haywire. Check out all of this month’s offerings below.
- The Devil Inside- A young woman travels with an unauthorized team of Catholic priests who perform exorcisms in an attempt to figure out what’s wrong with her psychotic mother.
- Contraband- Mark Wahlberg stars as a former smuggler who is pulled in for “one last job” when his wife’s brother blows a job for a ruthless drug dealer.
- Beauty and the Beast 3D- The Disney classic gets converted to 3D and returns to theaters.
- Joyful Noise- Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton star as church rivals who must join forces to get their choir ready for a massive competition.
- Haywire- Steven Soderbergh directs his first straight up action movie with Gina Carrano starring as an elite CIA agent who is betrayed and goes on a revenge fueled rampage against her former employers.
- Red Tails- George Lucus produces this World War II movie about the all African American fighter squadron, the Tuskegee Airmen.
- Underworld Awakening- Kate Beckinsale returns to the Underworld franchise as vampire Selene, who awakens from cryostasis to find humans have not only become aware of the war between between vampires and lycans, but have entered it.
- The Grey- Liam Neeson leads a crew of oil workers through the Alaskan wilderness after their plane crashes but things get more dangerous when a pack of vicious wolves starts stalking the group.
- Man on a Ledge- Sam Worthington stars in this Inside Man looking crime movie as a man who is seemingly on the verge of committing suicide but is really just the diversion for a heist.
- One for the Money- Yet another Katherine Heigl romantic comedy, this time she stars as bumbling bounty hunter Stephanie Plum, who goes on the trail of her old high school boyfriend, who has skipped bail and has a massive reward on his head.